The Silence of Bees

Loading...

Welcome to All You Seekers of the USA

Are you wondering what happened to America? The America we remember? Welcome to my Blog. Please feel free to respond. I yearn for responses and dialectic.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Could Have, Would Have, Should Have

By this age I should have had grandchildren. A close relationship with my sister. A deep and loving sexual relationship with someone. More maturity. More selflessness. Less anger. More compassion day to day. More discipline. Success as a playwright internationally. Success as an actor. Better health. More physically fit. Less self righteousness. Less defensiveness. Less material goods and a richer spiritual life. A deeper bond with others. Living in a  stronger community. Deeper ties with others. Less isolation.  I should be debt free. I should have owned outright my home. I should have been able to move to Los Angeles and be more involved in the theatres I belong to. I should feel happier, less depressed. I should have decided about Judaism by now. I should have less of a trigger when it comes to my emotions. I should be more stable and balanced. I should eat healthier. I should be thinner. I should be more disciplined about everything. I should not be so lazy. I should be smarter. I should not have to worry about money. I should have more prestige and be valued more highly by colleagues at work. I should value my colleagues more at work. I should have healthier relationships.

I see that I want a greater sense of community and to get away from the computer by getting out more into the real world. I feel like when I first moved here I had that but now that the computer has taken over my life, I am losing touch with real people and engaging in real ways and this concerns me a lot. I suppose I don’t go out as much because I am afraid of getting attacked or worse killed by a stray bullet which I guess is a little ridiculous but that happens to people as they get older and feel more vulnerable and fragile. I wish I could get my courage back to take more chances. I wish I did not feel all the time that my time was running down and out. I really wish my friend Carla was not dying and we could turn back the clock and I could appreciate her more when I had her as a colleague and friend. I wish I could take more risks emotionally in the real world and everywhere else. I wish I had learned to stride rather than take mincing steps. I wish I had learned to reach for the stars and moon and the sun and not just shadows.

4 comments:

  1. You are anything but alone in your thinking . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grant..it helps to know that other people hve similar concerns

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone, that's for sure. It's 4 in the morning and I can't sleep. Again. My dog just went blind. My folks have been on a long slow march to death that has left them depressed and angry. I still miss my best friend who died 13 years ago. Career-wise I had the key to fame and fortune in the palm of my hand years ago and tossed it away. Now, looking down the barrel of 50 I wonder where the time went. So, what to do? Plow on, try to do good work, hold my dog as frequently as I can, never watch Fox News.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never watch Fox news....my dog Honey has been blind for a year now...hold it all so close...

    ReplyDelete